Goals needs to be specific. The destination needs to be obvious. Your goal needs to have a very clear target. Words like “more” and “less” are off limits when writing a goal. Ideas like “do better” or “weigh less” are also strictly prohibited. Vague is the enemy of accomplishing goals. You’ve got to know what you want to accomplish…exactly.
Do’s and Don’ts of Specific
- Don’t say, “save more”. Do say, “save $1000.”
- Don’t say, “lose weight”. Do say, “lose 10lbs.”
- Don’t say, “get better at returning emails”. Do say, “set a reminder to check and respond to emails at 5pm.”
- Don’t say, “have more blog followers”. Do say, “have 1000 new blog followers”.
The more specific you can get the better. Specificity brings definition to the goal.
Tips to help you clarify
- What EXACTLY do you want to accomplish this year?
- Where do you want to go EXACTLY?
- Ask a friend, mentor, or coach and see if they understand your goal. Is it obvious to them what you are trying to accomplish?
Click on one of the S.M.A.R.T.E.S.T. Goals elements below to jump to a more specific description of that area. Click here to get an overview of the S.M.A.R.T.E.S.T. Goals system.